Monday, June 14, 2010

Online Privacy and Security

I believe that it helps to remind ourselves, family, friends and library patrons about online privacy and security.
The link to the video by the
Office of Privacy Commissioner in Canada
helps to understand what this is about and how private information can be used even against users.
Libraries are public spaces and have an opinion of being safe. Users of public computers may forget that going online exposes them to the whole world, even from a safe environment of the public library. So yes, it is important to remind our patrons about online privacy and security issues, wherever they access Internet.
I would advice patrons to remember about the online security, especially while accessing bank accounts. I short message on the Pharos account docket: "Be safe online, don't show us your bank account!" could wake up the consciousness of online surfing.

No comments:

Post a Comment